
Not the Magic. The Bullshit
I have been watching Pen and Teller since I was very young. Two magicians with a distinct personality that really scratches my head. Why is Pen yelling all the time? Why is teller mute? Why are the magic shows so damn...graphic?
Well, put aside the magic shows and get the same two people to talk about things in life that are well...bullshit. From the Vactician, to organic food, to Violence in videogames, to taxes, to Orgasms, to Circumcision, and in this post I will be talking about the Bible.
Yes, ol' Pen and Teller, both "Atheists" as the claim to be in their episode while calling the Holy Bible "Damn Bible", they look into the facts and history of the bible and why it is a bunch of bullshit.
Now before continuing. I have faith in Christianity. And in no way found this episode offensive. I recommend anyone to check this episode out while having a bible handy, as they have annotations of the books while they are talking during the episode. It's interesting to play along.
First off, let's check out part 1 of the episode:
I will not be linking part 2 and 3. You will have to do the research on your own.
Now, the episode covers Noah's ark, Moses, Jesus Christ, and contradictions inside the bible.
First, I want to start with Noah's ark. The show claims that it is literally impossible to carry billions of animals inside the ark. And have claimed that there is historical evidence that there was someone JUST LIKE Noah, but instead of Animals, there was riches, and landed in the exact same way Noah did. This part can be a little troublesome to most Christians out there. But what do I think? I personally think that the story is more to your heart in more that the story tells it to be. Meaning, if God tells you to do something. You better damn well do it. Imagine if a miracle appears before you saying you need to prepare yourself or else you will die. Be it a voice in your head, or a good feeling; failure to do so might either be Death or life. But what better way to use this with your gut feeling? But in this story? Noah was told in such a way that he did what he was told to do. You also have to know the history of life. Like living in the south and having to deal with hurricanes, or perhaps living in russia and having to live with radiation. Perhaps Noah lived in that time and did what he felt what he was told to do.
There are a lot of ways you can point out the story in a way that suits you. That's the coolest thing about the bible.
Now, the show talks about Moses. The show really goes deep into the story and how it is not only untrue, but it is possible that instead of the "Red" sea, but Moses perhaps parted the "Reed" sea. Now this one I have heard this preached at churches. HOWEVER, the story touches people differently as different as was told with Noah's Arc. Hell, there was even a movie about the story (Ok, same with Noah, but it was more of a comedy) and it sold MILLIONS. The Ten Commandments is one of my favorite movies I like to watch once a year on Easter sunday.
So shall it be written. So shall it be done
If you never seen this movie: You might want to put aside 8 hours of your day in watching it. I recommend watching it on Easter as much as I was used to in watching it as a kid. And since growing up with it; it has become more of a tradition more than anything. Moses, who was slow with his speech (Hey, stuttering. Like me!) was born a baby and grown as a man in which he was told to free the jews and to walk 40 years in the desert in search of the promised land. Ok, the Promised land is what I made up; the jews who reached this land made it of sin, sodomy, and other sins god did not want it to make. So Moses talked to God on the mountain of...oh crud I forget, but he talked to God there and when God spoke, he made the Ten Commandments.
When he came down from the mountain. He casted the stone God wrote of the Ten Commandments and punished all of the sinners whom followed moses. Breaking every rule of the book in one big celebration while Moses has left.
Now, what does Pen and Teller have to say? Not much, only the fact that Moses could not have parted the "Red" sea, but the "Reed" sea. The Reed sea is known to have dry areas in which people can cross in if the time is right. And according to the bible, it fits in with history and even to this day. They even ask "Is parting really a miracle"? Well, the funny thing about Faith is that I will let you guys reading this decide.
And now we have Jesus Christ. The son of God. The holy prophet, the man who rose from the dead and the man who died for all of our sins. For one, I believe in this. I really do! However, according to the show, there was more than one prophet who can do the same thing? It's all in history! In the SAME TIME no less. Which is the strangest thing: What ever happened to the other ones? Were they false prophets? Maybe the other books that did not make it into the Bible were not good enough for the cut?
See that's the thing about my faith. In my early years I asked an extremely important question about my faith that I still ask to this day. "If Jesus was the son of God, and believing in him would grant you into the eternal kingdom of heaven, what about people who never heard of him"?
I am talking about African tribes. Indians. Closed civilizations, and perhaps even mentally handicapped people? Coma? Unborn children?
There has to be a way for God to touch people into living their lives. In my life. I found Jesus Christ. I believe that the son of God died on the Cross to save me of my sins. The ultimate sacrifice.
Finally, we have situations in the bible that many of us might not follow through in our everyday lives. Like staying away from women who are on their period. Or stoning children whom are disobident, and to add another notion that was not mentioned on the show: Lavidicus says "Shellfish is an Abomination". Meaning if you like Shrimp (Boy do I love shrimp) or shrimp Cocktails? You are gonna burn in hell!
So my opinions on the show? Neutral. I mean I know when you look at a show called "Bullshit" that you are gonna get a lot of rip about the bible. And listening to "The Damn Bible" is one of them. Take it as you will, and if you have faith then the episode can you touch you. Both Pen and Teller has said that at the beginning of the episode and means no offense to the Faith. But if you want history? Well, Pen says "Hah, My aching ass!!!". But to me? Be the bible the way you feel it should be.
Thanks for reading. And God Bless.
AUTHORS NOTE:
When I was in Church. I did a play in which many was saved. This song may not be "Historically accurate" But the symbol it preaches touched many and on that night. I have seen many hands raised in which God has touched them. Now, the video I am about to post below is not the play. It's the song. So if you are a Christian. Listen along and close your eyes while following through to the lyrics. Let me help you, imagine a boxing ring between Jesus, and Satan when the devil was trying to deceive Christ (It's in the Bible) that he could give him mountains of land, riches, and more. He fought Satan.
This play was probably the most awesome play I have ever done. The symbolic teachings Carman has said in this song touched hundreds, thousands, and even millions. But my church was one of the first to do a play out of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment